About Me

My photo
I am a 34 year old wife & mother who's dream it's been to move to Mexico. This blog will follow my journey.

Friday 19 August 2011

Cost of Living in Mexico

Hola! (not the same as "holla"...the 'H' is silent so you're basically saying 'Ola')

This info is only for the Puerto Vallarta area - I don't know if they would change much elsewhere in Mexico.


Food:

Most people say your grocery bill is 1/2 what it would be NOTB (North of the Border). Plus you can get fresh fruit & vegetables from local markets for a fraction of what we pay up here. I've heard of $1 for 30 limes, $2 for a huge watermelon, etc. It's been a couple years since we had to buy food down there, but I don't think anything was expensive. If you want 'Imported' food, that will cost you a bit though.

Utilities:

They say it's expensive for Hydro there but I've been told it can run anywhere from 25-50 a month if you don't have air conditioning. Once the A/C is on, then your rate goes up. Hydro is billed every 2 months. Phone & Internet are about the same as Canada - $60 a month. Water is usually included but is very reasonable and it's also billed every two months.

Transportation:

In Puerto Vallarta you have many options for transportation. You can bring your own vehicle down with you (this is what I'll be doing). Then there is taxi's - but they can get expensive if you use them daily. There is also buses that run ALL the time...they cost anywhere from 50 cents to $2 depending on where you're going. You can get a 90 minute bus ride for $2. There are also dirt bikes, quads, dune buggies and let's not forget donkeys and horses.

Entertainment:

I don't have much to offer in this subject - we've mainly done All-Inclusives where the Entertainment is Free. We have gone to a couple bars, etc and you can find cheap restaurants/bars or you can find expensive ones. You can also head down to the Malecon on Sundays and there is plenty of entertainment there (and cheap food).

Schools:

This is not so much fun. This will be by far our biggest monthly expense. They do have Public schools in PV, but I've heard the education is terrible. Most only go to Grade 9 and they're taught in 100% Spanish. Not so good if you have two kids that don't speak Spanish and a parent that knows the basics only. :-) I've found a couple of private schools there - they range anywhere from $20,000 a year for both kids to $7,500 a year... this is the one I think we'll be choosing. It's a LOT more than we would ever pay back home, but we think the experience is well worth it. They get their normal subjects (Biology, English, Geography, etc) and get the experience of learning a whole new language and living in a new Country.

Car Info:

We will need to get Mexican Insurance for my car - this is bought online and printed off. My Canadian License plate and Driver's is still good there...as in I can keep my license plate on...my Canadian insurance would be cancelled as it's not good there anyway. The insurance covers the following:

Current Coverage

  • $300,000 LIABILITY Bodily Injury and Property Damage combination
  • $100,000 Legal Service
  • $5,000 per Person, $25,000 per Accident Medical Payments
  • $500 Fixed Deductible Collision and Natural Disasters
  • $1,000 Fixed Deductible Total Theft.
  • Air Ambulance within Mexico and if needed.
  • Qualitas One Call Claim Dispatch 24/7
  • USA Labor Rates pays USA, Canadian, or Mexican. Your choice!
  • Illness or Accident or Breakdown coverage covers:
    International Air Ambulance, Trip Continuation, Plane Tickets Home, Towing, Gas, Jumpstart, Flat Tire, Locksmith.
  • AUSA One Call Travel Assistance Dispatch 24/7
All for the low price of $366USD a year...I currently pay $111 a month back home! Speaking of License plates, I order a personalized one last week...it's going to say 'MEXICDN' :-) I can't wait til they get here!

Our rough budget per month is $2100 CDN and if we didn't have to pay for school, it would be about $1500 a month.

Next time I'll cover the basics of Spanish.

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment