About Me

My photo
I am a 34 year old wife & mother who's dream it's been to move to Mexico. This blog will follow my journey.

Sunday 21 August 2011

Basic Spanish

Hola!

Como estas?

Muy bueno, Gracias!

Anyone have a clue what that means? Without using a translator? :-)

Hola = Hello or Hi. In Mexico. In Spanish, the 'H' is almost always silent so you're really saying 'Ola'

Como estas? = How are you?

Muy bien Gracias! = Very good, thanks!

Some more basic spanish:

Numbers
Cero (se-roh) = Zero
Uno (oo-noh) = One
Dos (dohs) = Two
Tres (trehs)  = Three
Quatro (kooah-troh)= Four
Cinco (seen-koh)= Five
Seis (sehees)= Six
Siete (see-eh-teh)= Seven
Ocho (oh-choh)= Eight
Nueve (noo-eh-veh)= Nine
Diez (dee-ehs)= Ten

Most used words (I think anyway)
Yes = Si
No = No
Please = Por favor
Gracias = Thank you or Thanks
De nada = You're welcome
Donde esta? = Where is
Welcome = Bienvenidos
Good morning - Buenos dias
Good evening = Buenas tardes
Good night = Buenos noches
Good - Bien
So-so = Mas o menos
See you later = Hasta luego
See you soon = Hasta pronto
See you tomorrow = Hasta manana
Hello/Hi = Hola
Goodbye = Adios
I'm sorry = Lo siento
How's it going = Que tal?
Nice to meet you = Mucho gusto
I don't understand = No entiendo
Sure = Claro
It's OK = Esta bien
Good luck = Buena suerte
Shut up = Callate

I've started reading the book 'Spanish for Dummies' - it's really helpful so far because they write a sentence, write how to pronounce it and then they tell you what it means in English. I'm going to see if I can buy a cheap copy with the CD on Amazon. The copy I have is from the library and doesn't have the CD. I also have 2 other 'Learning Spanish' programs but I just can't make myself sit there and listen to them (it doesn't help that I have 4 people that sit and laugh at my pronounciation) lol

I signed my husband and I up for Spanish lessons at the local Arts Council - it was $97 for the class each and we bought a textbook to share for $25. It's a 10 week class and we'll probably miss the last class but hopefully she'll forgive us...afterall, we will be in Mexico using what she taught us. :-)

Well I think that's it for today...I'm not sure what the next post will be about...I'll have to think about it.

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment